Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Articulate Artichokes




I have always had an appetite for artichokes. This edible member of the thistle family is one plant I had never seen before, but my Grandmother had featured as dinner for special ocassions. Or just because!


just add breadcrumbs, olive oil and some parmesan??


A few weeks ago Carlo took me to a beautiful town in the Santa Monica Mountains called Thousand Oaks. There at the Gardens of the World we were treated to a botanical feast for the eyes! Just don't try to put your feet on any of the fountains. This is a free (to the public) botanical treasure so make sure when you visit to review the rules and respect the docents who take care of this site.

I had never imagined that the artichoke was a SUPER-SiZED plant with leaves that could be mistaken for palm fronds or philodendron leaves. So of course, for posterity, I am posing by this impressive plant. What an ode to a flower bud that previously I have only seen very humbled, and delightfuly cooked to Italian perfection, on my dinner plate. Now I will be learning how to prepare this glorious food very shortly...until then...be in awe of the artichoke growing under the big California sky.

gazing upwards to the Sun


No comments:

Post a Comment