Thursday, May 17, 2012

Descanso Gardens






Hello Everyone,

I have always been the kind of guy who requires inspiration from the natural world around us. I grew up in a tiny town outside of Rochester, NY. In my backyard I had corn fields, apple orchards, an inground swimming pool, and a hundred acre wood.

Free to explore this after long school days and weekends I would get lost in the wildflowers, trees, yet miraculously never get burned by poison ivy. My mother and I are so far impervious to this vine and so the neighbors always took advantage of this, calling us over to rip vines away from their homes with bare hands.

The winter season in NY can get so long and I need colour in my life. If you're an artist you know what I mean. Being a California resident now for just under 2 years I am continually enthralled by being in a climate where something is always blooming and growing. Perhaps this helps feed my imagination.

 We get so comfortable sitting in our cubicles that we don't see all the beauty that surrounds us! Today I will be sharing a recent trip that Carlo and I went on.





Descanso Gardens. In the Spanish language it means rest. Hopefully you find some here.



forests of camellia...
...carpet the pebbled trails with their petals
I really appreciated all of the textures and styles present at Descanso. Here we were prepared for a 5 hour, walking tour. There is also a very popular tram that will take you all around. Some prefer to get their bearings that way. Namaste, I say.

the tea house




...lanterns floating above


textures...galore
























Ever close your eyes? Ever stop and listen? Enya sings in her ethereal, Celtic voice in a song called "Wild Child". Good question. Perhaps you are now :-)



camellias everywhere...
 


























yes my Rochester friends: LiLACS in California

Sniff, sniff...naturally very critcal of anything man-made that claims to be Lilac-scented


















an unopened camellia bud














this oak canopy reminds me of the classic Disney film The Sword In The Stone

Ornamental Maple blossom














pinwheel periwinkle


















...More to come soon! Join me another day for a pleasant stroll.
Mark









No comments:

Post a Comment