Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cauliflower Vindaloo

I am a joyful chef. I am currently inspired by fresh vegetables, whole grains and exotic ingredients. My first recipe to share is one that was inspired by purchasing a beautiful Cauliflower at the market around the corner from my apartment...and next wondering what to make of it. Here we go...


Cauliflower Vindaloo is an Indian dish of sorts that I alter to fit what I have on hand and the spice level preferences of my friends. One of my personal favorites on a rainy cold day and watching my new favorite rom-com The Vow. You can pair it a cabernet or jazz things up a bit with some sweet moscato! Particularly satisfying today is Bishop's Blend 2008 from Wagner Vineyards in Washington. This is a one pot meal so that you can enjoy your wine with movie selection and not fret about clean-up. Bon Apetite! Feeds 6-8 so you can delight your loved ones and have left overs for a lazy night.

1 Cauliflower
2 cans of Coconut Milk
2 cans of Tomato Paste
1 can of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
3 heaping tablespoons of Curry
Sriracha Sauce (eyeball it)
fresh crushed Garlic (approx 6-8 cloves)
1/2 one White Onion
sea salt
black pepper
1 thai chilli or jalapeno

Pick at least one of the following (or combine for a heartier stoup--more than soup, just shy of stew!):
1 can of Garbanzo Beans
2 cups of Lentils
2 cups of Jasmine Rice or Brown

Start by selecting one big stew pot. I am making your dish clean up as simple as possible :-)
Add the Chicken or Vegetable broth and Coconut Milk and as it warms up add the Tomato Paste. Whisk in and stir. Mix in the Curry and crush your Garlic. I recommend a Garlic press like what Julia Child used. If you don't have one on hand just dice it up to your content.

Now that your broth is cooking nicely go ahead and add Sriracha sauce. Ever hear the cliche term "not to trust a skinny chef"? Here is where you apply it. Add a few squirts of this decadent chilli-garlic sauce and taste. Not spicy enough? Add more! Taste again...

While your broth is cooking and all the flavors marrying...start cutting up your Cauliflower and set it aside close to the pot. Its time is nearing...

The time has come to add your diced onion, sea salt, and black pepper to taste. Throw in the slices of thai chilli or jalapeno! Have you decided whether to use Garbanzo, Lentils or Rice...or all three?! I highly recommend the full mixture to make this dish as hearty as possible. At this stage let it cook for about 15 minutes.

What about the Cauliflower, Mark? Now is the time. Mix it in with the stew you have created and let everything simmer on low for at least 20 minutes. Taste. When the Cauliflower is tender go ahead and turn off the heat...and prepare to serve. Bon Apetite!

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog! I really hope you continue it. BTW - I'm a huge fan of anything Indian-y. Thanks for stopping by my Julia blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan,

    I enjoy your Julie blog very much! Thanks for your thoughtful comment today :-) I frequently enjoy Indian food so there shall be more recipes on the way!

    ReplyDelete