Friday, May 11, 2012

Share A Smile (Cabrillo)

Good morning everyone :-) I am waking up to a refreshing 59 degrees here in DC! Before Karin and I head out on our tour of The Capitol Building I want to share a little inspiration from San Diego.

Cabrillo National Monument stands at the peninsula that juts out from San Diego Bay. It's spectacular! It is BREATH-TAKING. It is a place that when you arrive to this sunny city says "hello, I live here" and is forever engraved in your heart. I am going to show you just a few details of one of my hikes through the tidal pools that are on the oceanside.

When I go hiking I am looking for a vista, of course, a view of the surrounding landscape that I have never seen before. A vision that gives me a sense of place. While these moments are paramount to the hiker it is also the little details that when you find them...make the day.



The tidal pools. You must arrive when the tides are fully out to have the best chance of seeing this spot. Arrive at full tide and while the crashing waves are worthy...you've missed significant treasure. There are all sorts of creatures that call this little nooks and crannies home.



Now this can be somewhat of a race because you want to see the southernmost point of this peninsula for a chance to see Mexico and the Corona Islands...tiny dots of arid paradise that lie to the southwestern horizon.



Navigating through boulders, arches and shallow water is always tricky...especially for me because I like to wear sandals here so I can get my feet wet.



Don't walk too quickly to see all these vistas! This is all just backdrop to a lot more...



A seashell nestled next to a mossy rock...



some BuBBLY seaweed...


a love letter. . .long lost:





and a reason to SMiLE!







Until later my friends, have a wonderful day no matter what today brings!
Mark

3 comments:

  1. Awesome photography my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! :-) So glad you appreciate them! Please let me know if you have any suggestions. How did you enjoy this little story?

      Delete
    2. Loved it - can't wait to read more about your capers. I totally want to visit places like this AND get out and take more pictures. I have to admit I've been slacking here lately!

      Delete